Thursday, January 6, 2011

Homemade Christmas 2010

Each year we have a "homemade" Christmas with my family...the Jangula family. The adults make something homemade for another adult and the children make something for another child. I also participated in a homemade ornament gift exchange and then made some for my children's teachers. After the fun that I was having with the clay ornaments, I decided to make an ornament for my family too.

This year seemed to be extra busy and even with all the wonderful handmade ideas that I found online....I was in a slump. I wanted to make sure that my kids were able to help...or make their own gifts this year and that added to my dilema.

Overall, I'm pleased with what we came up with...and more importantly....I am happy the gifts got all made...on time!


I didn't actually get a picture of all the ornaments that I made for the ornament exchange and I'm bummed about it because they turned out pretty cute. I made 6 different snowmen similar to the one in this picture. The one in this picture was the one that I won at the exchange. The rule is that you don't have to take your own ornament if your name is drawn, but I took it because I hadn't made one for myself. The ornament party has been a fun new tradition.


I made these ornaments for each of my siblings and their families. Each one lists their names and of course...2010.


My mother's ornament turned out HUGE, but I suppose with 9 children it is bound to be huge. I'm just glad that she usually has a big tree. It's going to have to hang on a pretty strong branch!


A couple of my brother's aren't married yet so they just got a plain snowman. They aren't too exciting, but still cute.



These are the teacher ornaments that I made. They were pretty simple and cute. I made them the morning just before their class parties. I pushed it a little too close to the time of the party and then I couldn't find my small paint brush and their for the writing could be better. But, it's the thought that counts right?


I had my sister Jaci's name this year. She made it easy to decide what to make...she emailed me a picture of something that she wanted. lol. She has a nativity from Willow Tree, but wanted their creche to go with it. Seeing as they are $100, she thought it would be easier to make it. And what would be even easier than that? Have your sister make it! I'm pretty pleased at how it turned out. It's not perfect, but pretty darn close to the original.



Danny ended up making an ornament for my brother and then making him some kettle corn. Then we gave him a stovetop popcorn popper so that my brother, Anthony can make his own at home. Oh yeah, Danny even made some homemade dog buscuits for Anthony's dog, Optimus. Kaylee helped him make then and they had fun cutting all kinds of shapes out of the dough.

Josh had his little brother's name and this is where we cut corners. We just got a store bought present for little Jameson. Some Hotwheels....he loved them.

Jonny had Jakes name and we had a hard time choosing a gift to make. My sister suggested making a tie-dyed shirt and I thought...perfect. The only problem with this is that it was the very last gift....made the morning of Christmas Eve. We didn't do it quite right. I'm sure we were supposed to let colors dry somewhat before mixing another because the orange and blue (Boise Bronco colors) turned out to be a mixture of yellows, oranges and green. SO, not quite right. That teaches me not to wait until the last minute.

Joey had Ashlyn's name and Kaylee had Whitney's name. I saw an idea on how to make your own paper dolls or magnetic paper dolls. We loved this idea and I searched around on the internet. I ended up finding these fun paper dolls from the McCall's Pattern company. They were made in the 50's and early 60's. The company published one page each month with some different adventures of "Betsy McCall". These ended up being so cute...and there are over 120 of them...that we decided to print these for the girls. Joey and Kaylee decorated some boxes to keep all the paper dolls in with stickers and the girls names. We printed the paper dolls out on cardstock. Then Kaylee helped cut out some of the dolls and put them in envelopes to keep in the boxes. Each page of paper dolls has a little story so she glued that story on the front of the envelope and put the pieces inside. (I thought about laminating the doll part...a little too late, but that would have been a good idea.) I didn't take any pictures of the boxes of paper dolls that the kids made, but I will post a picture of the paper dolls and include a link so you can make some of your own.

http://tpettit.best.vwh.net/dolls/pd_scans/betsy_mccall/large_format.html




My little Jameson had Lizzy's name. And since Jamey is 2, Danny and I pretty much made his gift. I say Danny and I because I made up the wand and crown, but Danny ended up hand stitching the crown for me. He did a great job for his first sewing gig. He even joked that maybe he'll have to take up sewing as a hobby. Here's little Lizzy with her crown and wand. She's so theatrical, just like many of our girls, and she waved her wand and danced around. It was pretty cute.


My parents out did us all. My father made a popping cork gun for all the grandsons and my mother hand stitched a handmade doily for each of her daughters and daughter in laws. My mother continues to amaze me. She was taught how to do some crochet stitches as a teenager, but has never really done too much crocheting. This last year she has bought different books and has taught herself how to do so many different projects. They all have turned out amazing. These doilies will be something to cherish. My mom also made my sister a beautifully embrodered pillowcase using threads from her and both of my grandmother's. It is absolutely gorgeous!





You may hear a sliiight grumble as I'm trying to make all these homemade gifts, but in the end. They are truly the best gifts. Something made by hand and given with heart.

4 comments:

Denece said...

I love that you do homemade gifts. I wish I could talk our families into doing something like that. I would much rather make someone something. Very fun!

Jacilynn said...

I loved my gift! I hope you get me next year too...oh year I forget we are switching it up ;)

kd said...

Awesome handmade presents - I am very impressed!! You have creativity coming out your ears, which obviously is in your DNA, but Danny did awesome too!

Uhooi said...

It works good and creative,,

Uhooi.blogspot.com